Saturday, January 12, 2019

Timbaland's Interview with Billboard šŸ”µšŸ”“ (2004)


If someone compiled a list of the most commercially successful and prolific producers in R&B/hiphop, Timbaland's name would likely be near the top of the list. In less than a decade, Timbaland (aka Tim Mosley) has amassed dozens of hit records as a producer and songwriter, He is also a performing artist, engineer, remixer and head of a record label, the Interscope-distributed BeatClub Records.

Timbaland has also worked with such top artists as Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott, Jay-Z, the late Aaliyah, Memphis Bleek, Ludacris, Justin Timberlake and Ginuwine. Also he has won numerous awards, Including songwriter Of the year in 2001 and 2003 at the ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Awards



He also received a Grammy Award nomination for album of the year for producing and engineering Elliott's 2003 Elektra album "Under Construction," Timbaland got his start in the music business in the early 1990s working with Jodeci member/producer DeVante Swing, He then formed music production group Da Bassment, whose members included Elliott, Ginuwine, Playa and Magoo. 

Stepping into the spotlight as a performing artist, Timbaland has recorded hit record as a solo act as well as part of a group, most notably in the duo Timbaland & Magoo, With his BeatClub label, Timbaland has been nurturing the careers of such artists as Bubba Sparxxx, Shelby Norman, Sebastian, Kiley Dean and Ms.Jade. Timbaland also made his mark in movies, as many of the hit songs he has produced and written have appeared on film soundtracks, Aaliyah's 2000 hit "Try Again'' which originally appeared on the "Romeo Must Die" Soundtrack, was the first song produced and co-written by Timbaland to reach No.1 on The Billboard Hot 100. Timbaland also previously scored a top 40 Hot 100 hit in 1998 with another Aaliyah soundtrack song "Are You That Somebody" from "Dr. Dolittle".

Even with all his success, Timbaland says he is planning to eventually to walk away from music business. He candidly tells Billboard why and provides other thoughts on the music industry.


What Are the biggest technology challenges facing music producers?
I don't think there's any technology right now that can challenge the producers who are good enough to do what they do, The ones who are the best can adapt to changes in technology.


Do you think producers are more important than artists, and how would you describe your producing style?
I think producers are bigger than the artists, We're responsible for the sound that they have. We give them direction and bring something out of the artists that they may not realize that they have. When I came [on the scene] I was one of the people who started bringing the attention back to producers. I bought the flavor back to the meal, and I opened a lot of the doors for artists and other producers, My producing style is this: "I am the music", The artist is the frontman for the producer.


You're a producer, songwriter, engineer, remixer, head of a record label and an artist, What are the most important things you've learned and which role is the most satisfying to you?
The most important thing I've learned is to always have that ambition to keep fresh and always challenge yourself. I'm always competing with myself. I spend most of my time making music, but I can't say what role is most important to me. It depends on how I'm feeling and what I'm doing at the time.

What are the biggest mistakes artists are making right now?
Just trying to flood the market with too much of themselves. When their record sales don't really match all the attention they get, that's when you know they're overexposed.


What's your biggest fear?
Not being hot anymore

What is going to be the most importnat music trend for 2004?
Whatever it is, I hope I can set it.

You've been quoted as saying that you want to walk away from Hip-Hop. Why?
It's not just Hip-Hop. I want to walk away from music, period. To me, the music business is too saturated, and there's too much politics with the record companies and radio. I'm not walking away right away, I'll probably do another Missy Elliott album, But there's too much going on with the [illegal] downloading and other problems in the music industry. And I've gotten bored with hip-hop. I'm about to totally change my whole image in 2004. It's going to shock people.

What motivates you?
Music. I love Music but nothing musically is motivating me right now. The world is changing and I'm getting older, I knew it was something when I started looking at B2K funny. As I think about it, I'm sure it's like how when we were young, people looked at Rakim. We're like those people now, the older generation. We're getting older. 
I like doing music but I don't like what's being said on top of the music. It's like all the images are the same old, same old. There's really no creativity, it's just a repeat, a cycle, it's all a bunch of bull crap.

You opened up a new club right?Yeah.. The Cherry Lounge.

What's your religion?
I'm Pentecostal. Church of God and Christ.

If you could change what the newcomers are doing in the industry, how would you?
I would tell them to go back and listen to real music, 70's and 80's music, something that ya'll young people don't know nothing about. Notice I said ya'll young people. Ya'll don't know nothing about it. Go back and study the art of where real music comes from. Feel me?.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home